Online MJ in Energy Law
If you work in or adjacent to a heavily regulated energy industry like oil, gas, electric or nuclear power, you know your success depends on precise knowledge of the legal frameworks that structure your field.
Tulane University Law School is proud to offer an online Master of Jurisprudence in Energy Law to provide the tactical, practical legal training to support both regulators and regulated professionals in these complex fields, as well as members of advocacy groups and other organizations influencing public policy and its enforcement. Over 30 credits of combined live and asynchronous instruction, you will build a new and vital skill set and knowledge base that will serve you whether you work in an energy-related industry or a regulatory agency.
Through in-depth coursework on the legal issues surrounding the development and regulation of fossil fuel, electricity, nuclear and renewable energy sources; climate change; and alternative dispute resolution mechanisms, you can build the expertise to adeptly navigate any regulatory challenge you might face in some of our planet’s most crucial evolving industries.
Program at a Glance
- 12 courses
- 30 credits
- Mix of required and elective courses
- Culminating capstone project course
- Mix of live classes and asynchronous coursework
- Complete in as few as two years
- Three opportunities to start per year
Engage With Experts Across the Field
In a field as dynamic and rapidly evolving as energy law, the best training often transcends the classroom.
As a leader at the forefront of this field, Tulane Law School operates the Center for Energy Law to promote crucial research, create dialogue across the field’s internal boundaries and support our students as they seek professional opportunities and work to deepen their knowledge.
The Center for Energy Law leads efforts to define the scope and purpose of “energy law” as an academic discipline and regulatory framework. It also holds an annual Energy Law Conference to bring together the top legal, academic and industry minds in energy law, and it offers unique career-building opportunities like company tours and field visits.
Supercharge Your Career Potential
Career opportunities abound in the energy industries, and a master’s in energy law can give you the expertise and confidence you need to seize one.
By receiving advanced training in the regulatory framework that governs energy industries in the U.S., you can guide energy corporations as they navigate existing complex regulations, help prepare industry veterans for the paradigm shift toward renewable energy and the legal framework that will structure that massive transition, help innovative startups develop the next wave of energy tech, and much more.
Earn your master’s in energy law from Tulane, and pursue roles in:
- Government agencies
- Think tanks and public policy groups
- Regulated energy agencies
- Renewable energy startups
- Investment firms
- Energy advocacy organizations
Online MJ in Energy Law Curriculum
The online MJ in Energy Law comprises 30 total credits, divided between 24 credits delivered over 9 core courses and an additional 6 credits of elective courses.
- Energy Law, Regulation and Policy Survey (3 credits)
- Introduction to Legal Study, Research and Legal Writing I (2 credits)
- Environmental Law, Regulation and Policy Survey (3 credits)
- Introduction to Legal Study, Research and Legal Writing II (2 credits)
- Pollution Control (2 credits)
- Administrative Law (3 credits)
- Dispute Resolution (2 credits)
- Alternative Energy Sources: Regulation and Development (3 credits)
- Capstone (3 credits)
- Natural Resources Law (3 credits)
- Hazardous Waste Law (3 credits)
- Clean Air Law (2 credits)
- Clean Water Law (2 credits)
- Law and Climate Change (2 credits)
- Fossil Fuel: Regulation and Development: Coal, Oil and Gas (3 credits)
- Nuclear Energy: Regulation and Development (2 credits)
- Electricity Industry: Regulation and Development (2 credits)
- Renewable Energy Sources: Regulation and Development (2 credits)
Elective courses offered in each term are subject to availability.
Study With Industry Leaders
Faculty who teach in the online MJ in Energy Law program are established legal and regulatory professionals with deep experience in every facet of their industry. Learn from the experts who have built standout careers on their thorough knowledge of complex bodies of law and their ability to adapt in an environment where change is constant, and hone your professional skill set under their unparalleled guidance.
Learn From a Leader in Online Education
Our online MJ in Energy Law program has been designed specifically for seamless delivery and engagement in an online format. Recorded lectures and course materials available 24/7 ensure you are able to complete the bulk of your assignments on your own schedule without sacrificing any of your existing personal or professional responsibilities. And weekly live courses help you strengthen the connections you’ll make with your classmates and engage more deeply with your professors’ deep subject-matter knowledge.
An Immersive Experience at Tulane
All students in the online MJ in Energy Law program take part in a dynamic Education Immersion Weekend. This two-day experience is your opportunity to visit our beautiful campus in the vibrant city of New Orleans, meet your faculty and classmates face to face, build your professional network, and engage in meaningful conversations and attend lectures on the issues impacting energy industries today.
Immersion Weekends are held each summer, and all students are required to attend at least one during their time in the online MJ in Energy Law program.